Thursday, February 10, 2011

Heavy Reading

I ordered and read a book from the artist who is inspiring my work this semester. The book is called "Thats The Way I See It" by David Hockney. The information in this book is sinking in nicely for me. He explains things I see and have trouble explaining myself:
Some informative/selected quotes:

"...I realized I was opening up something else, that here was a marvelous narrative; what I was doing became clearer: I was using a narrative for the first time, using a new dimension of time."  (p.97)

"...dissatisfaction of [and in sometimes in opposition] to naturalist fixed-point perspective space..." (p. 101)

"The moment when you realize what Picasso's doing...It becomes a very profound experience, because you can see that what he is doing is not distortion, and it slowly begins to look more real and real. In fact it is naturalism that begins to look less and less real. And that, of course, leads you into thinking about he nature of realism and what is is and what it isn't. You become aware, perhaps more than ever before, that there are different forms of realism and that some are more real than others." (p. 102)

"...so what I'm talking about is the world, and pointing out that there are different ways of depicting space; one way is the keyhole way, essentially the window idea with a one point perspective. The window is just a big keyhole with edges around it. You are  deeply conscious of these edges. I began to be obsessed with them and also by the realization tat you might be able to break them...the edge has to do with movement and time and most essentially with the representation of space...the moment you acknowledge the surface, you acknowledge the edge...You realize that they relate to where you think you are and therefore who you are. Then you begin to link spacial ideas with identity. " (p. 102)

"...cubism seemed to many people to be about one persons subjective perception of reality. And that was what Einsteins theories also seemed to be about. Before Einstein, time and space were considered separate and absolutes -- they always existed. Einstein said, This is not the case. They are not absolutes and they depend a great deal upon the observer; different observers see different events at different times. Such a  view also seemed to break up the notion of a shared reality-it [aided in] establishing [the notion] that we all see a little bit different." (p. 125-126)

Any one have anything to add?

4 comments:

  1. I am so glad for you that you found this book! Also super glad that it was so helpful for you. Also, after hearing you talk during the presentation and trying to make sense of all of it (some of it was easy to understand), with these quotes it is so much easier to understand what you're thinking about. I'm very interested to see what you have for the crit next week. Keep being inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! So interesting! I have been doing some heavy reading myself lately, and I can totally relate to what you said about finding it hard to explain certain things in relation to what you are thinking and understanding. I had a long/good/challenging talk with Karen today and my head is still spinning (but totally in a good way). Not sure what I'm gonna do next, but I'm gonna keep going...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys! Its slow going but I'll pull through :)
    My concept has shifted slightly - not the final product but the interpretation. Ive decided to go more toward the personality side as opposed to the full on multiple reality side. I mean, the audience isn't going to understand or have a background in this, and joined with my own lack of ability to express fully in words what it means, Ive decided to skew towards the more obvious personality connections. I'm having a ridiculous hard time writing an artist statement. I mean, I feel like I want to quote Hockney, but I don't want it to take away from my own thoughts. I don't want to channel this guy right off the bat so obviously. This is my project! lol.
    That, joined with Barbs very helpful insight on my macquette, has made me question my own actions to do printmaking. Its because of the challenge, and taking and using photography in an alternative way. Much like other people are doing, the proliferation of images kinda makes me feel like I'm in the "been around for a little while now" crowd of photographers that appreciates the glorious tradition, but is ready to apply it elsewhere. Sometimes, a photo just doesn't do it. But a print of a photo -- thats another challenging layer in itself.

    ReplyDelete